When winter weather hits, our top priority is the safety of students and staff. Our district’s geography is taken into account when the decision is made. One part of our area may be clear while other areas are struggling with snow or ice.
What determines a weather-related closing at Midlakes schools?
- Road conditions
- Temperature, including extreme wind chill
- Weather radar and forecast
How will I know if a school is closed?
- A message will be sent using ParentSquare.
- The local media will be notified (WHAM, WROC, WHEC, Spectrum, WSTM-TV3 Syracuse, Finger Lakes Radio Group, WACK-AM radio, and WYLF-AM radio)
- Twitter and Facebook messages
- An updated status on the District homepage
- This applies to full-day closures, delays, early dismissals, and evening cancellations.
Why is school closed when it's not snowing?
- Extremely cold temperatures can impact school closures.
- No one should be outside with unprotected skin and wind-chill factors in the range of minus-40 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Injuries can occur sooner at lower temperatures. As we approach wind chills of -25 degrees Fahrenheit, it may be time to consider closing.